Christ Church is blessed with beautiful worship spaces, expansive grounds, and historic buildings, all just steps from Lake Michigan on the North Shore of Chicago.
The Church on the Hill is aptly named because of its location on a hill on Sheridan Road. Dedicated in 1905, this traditional stone church was the gift of the William Hoyt family. It was built as a memorial to their daughter and three grandchildren who were tragically killed in the 1903 Iroquois Theater fire in Chicago.
The magnificent Tiffany window and the cross in the Sanctuary are original to the building and were gifts given by the Hoyt family when the church was built. These original features create a sense of history in our worship space. Please click here for the interesting details about The Stained Glass Windows at the Church on the Hill.
The Church on the Hill has a large Churchyard with a Columbarium for the Interment of ashes and a Dovecote chapel. A Churchyard Fund was established in 1940 for the maintenance of what is considered one of the loveliest memorial gardens in the country.
Christ Church grew over the years and by the 1920s, there were plans for expansion. The stock market crash of 1929 occurred the day before the parish was set to vote on whether or not to undertake a large building project. One by one, Vestry members talked about putting the project on hold.
When the final member of the Vestry spoke, he asked this question, “Are we going to let what has happened on Wall Street threaten the things that pertain to the Kingdom of God?”
Three weeks later, the campaign was oversubscribed. In 1931, construction of the current Parish House, Office, and Rectory at the corner of Maple and Oak was completed.
This large Gothic building is the current home of our Parish Office, and is the center of activity during the week. In addition to the church office, this building has several meeting rooms and a large fellowship hall aptly named the Great Hall. We have several community groups who hold meetings in the Parish House during the week. And we have three tenants who rent space from us, including a preschool and a counseling center.
In 1999, ground was broken for the expansion of the Church on the Hill, and the facilities were dedicated in September, 2000. The expansion included the purchase of the house adjacent to the church. The house was renovated to create meeting space and classrooms for Christian education, and joined by the construction of a Tower and New Cloister in the church building. The $5.5 million capital campaign created a space that allowed worship and Christian education to take place in one location.
Following the renovation, the Church on the Hill now has a Nursery, 9 classrooms, a Choir Room, 2 large meeting and reception rooms, and a modern kitchen.
From its humble beginnings as an Episcopal mission in 1876 through many years of change, Christ Church has always been a place to grow closer in relationship to God.