2019 CHAIRMEN BIBLE
RUMMAGE CALENDAR 2019
September 20 Tent Party (6:00 pm – 9:30 pm)
September 21 Flyover (8:00 am – 2:30 pm)
September 22 Flyover (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
September 23-October 1 Fall Sale Set Up (see below)
October 2 Morning Worship (8:15 am)
October 2 Pre-Sale (9:00 am – 3:00 pm)
October 3 95th Rummage Sale (7:00 am – 3 pm)
October 3 THE AFTER PARTY (4:00 pm)
October 5 Fly-back (9:00 am – 11:00 am)
October 23 Chair Appreciation Lunch @ the Rectory
November 1 Donation Doors Reopen!
AFTER-HOUR DEPARTMENT SET UP
Rummage is open weekdays for Department set up between 9 am – 5 pm. Access is available on weeknights and weekends; all volunteers must check in with Security. Please add the names of any volunteers that plan to work after hours to the After-Hours Security list, which is located in the Parish House Office.
Security arrives at 6 pm. After 6 pm the only door that remains open is the “bridge” door to the Parish House. The door will be locked at 10 pm. All remaining workers will be asked to leave at this time.
- It is the responsibility of the Department Chairs to furnish a list of after-hour workers. The names should be added to the list in the Rummage Office. The name only needs to be added once. An updated list will be given to the security person on duty every day who will admit only those persons listed.
- It is the responsibility of the evening worker to check in with the security guard who will be at the top of the parking lot.
- No one is permitted to remove any items from any of the buildings or tents without permission from the Rummage Director who will notify the security guard.
- Early Shopping MAY ONLY TAKE PLACE DURING Pre-Sale on Wednesday, October 3.
New Hours This Year: We will not offer childcare on Monday, September 30 and we’ve expanded hours on Sale Day so volunteers can help with cleanup and attend the After Party.
Monday, September 23: 9 am – 3 pm
Tuesday, September 24: 9 am – 3 pm
Wednesday, September 25: 9 am – 3pm
Thursday, September 26: 9 am – 3 pm
Friday, September 27: 9 am – noon
Tuesday, October 1: 9 am – noon
Wednesday, October 2: 9 am – 3 pm
Thursday, October: 9 am – 5 pm
September 23-October 1 Parish House Nursery Room (across from the Office)
October 2-3: Willow Wood Preschool School (third floor of the Parish House)
Rules for Use:
For the safety and well-being of all children, your cooperation in adhering to the following rules is appreciated:
- Do not bring sick children. We follow the same guidelines used by preschools regarding runny noses, coughs, and fevers.
- Please share special information that you want the sitters to know.
- Label everything you bring for your child.
- Check on your child during the day and monitor lunch.
- Do not leave the premises while your children are in the nursery.
Weekdays during setup, we will provide complimentary coffee, bottled water and snacks in the Parish House Kitchen, which is located in the basement of 470 Maple Street. Homemade and store-bought treats are always welcome. If you are interested in donating food to help nourish volunteers, please contact Darlene McKinney.
Worker’s Lunches are back by popular demand. Lunch will be provided:
- Wednesday, September 25: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Tuesday, October 1: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 2: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
To help keep Rummage expenses in check, we are charging $5.00 for lunches.
September 23 – October 3
The Winnetka Police have agreed to be lenient regarding parking time zones for workers displaying a Rummage Worker Sign on their dashboards. Parking tickets will be issued for normal violations including parking in special permit areas (Maple & Lincoln); no parking zones; blocking of driveways, crosswalks or fire hydrants. Please be mindful of where you park!
If you or your volunteers need additional windshield signs, pleased stop by the Church Office.
All boxes will be distributed during Set Up. Additional Maps and Mark-Up Sheets will be available in the Church Office. Yellow Tape will be used to mark items as sold, the 25% mark-up cheat sheet and Sale Number 95 Maps will be included with your Supply Box.
PRE-SALE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2
People Donate. You Shop. We Give Net Proceeds To Those In Need. It’s A Beautiful Cycle.
Please keep our motto in mind when shopping – it’s what we call shopping in the spirit of Rummage!
- No selling may take place BEFORE, WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2 at 9 AM.
- All purchases during the Pre-Sale will have a 25% MARKUP.
- Any purchases between 9 AM on OCTOBER 2 and 8 AM on OCTOBER 3 will be marked up 25%. Items may not be set aside for purchase after the mark-up expires.
- Only family members may shop with Chairmen during the Pre-Sale. Chairmen must accompany family members at all times.
Workers who have contributed at least 10 hours of work prior to Sale Day AND are committed to working at least one 2-hour shift during both the Pre-Sale and Sale Day are entitled to Pre-Sale privileges.
All shoppers must have an approved Pre-Sale sticker on their name tag. Pre-Sale stickers may be picked up by Chairmen Tuesday morning, Oct. 1, in the office. It is the Chairman’s job to distribute these stickers to their eligible workers.
8:15 am – Worship Service
8:45 am – Cash boxes available for pick up in office
9:00-10:30 – PURPLE NAME TAGS: Chairmen ONLY
10:30 – 3:00 – WHITE NAMETAG: Other eligible workers
12:00 – 3:00 – YELLOW NAMETAGS: Clergy, Seminarians, Guests
You may want to have a volunteer stand at the door to your Department checking for Purple name tags and inviting those with a white tag to “please come back at 10:30.” Have a “no looking” policy from 9-10:30.
SALE DAY: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3
New This Year: In honor of the 95th Anniversary, Rummage is offering 5 shoppers 15 minutes of early, solo shopping via its first-ever Jump To The Front Of The Line Raffle. Each of the winning shoppers will gain entry to a Department of their choice at 6:45 am. Participating Departments include Chelsea Gardens, French Room, Jewelry, Shoes and Treasures.
Sale Day Access:
Security will be on-site until the Sale opens at 7 am. Badges are required for early morning access. The Security Guard will be using them as a way to differentiate shoppers and volunteers.
May be picked up at 6:30 am in the Church Office. Tape will not be distributed with the Cash Boxes. It will be in your Supply Boxes.
Check Cashing Policy:
- Cash is the preferred method of payment.
- We will now accept checks at the point of purchase. Please ID all individuals that wish to write a check, even it it’s family! Please match addresses. If the address on the check is different from the one on the Driver’s License, please write that address on the check along with a phone number and the shopper’s Driver’s License Number.
- Checks up to $100 can be cashed in the Treasurer’s Office.
- If a customer needs more than $100, the ATM machine is located in the lobby of the Parish House, just inside the parking lot bridge
No department may go to half price before 12:30 pm. The subsequent timing of a “Bag Sale” is determined by an individual Chair.
Marking Items As Sold:
All paper bags should be stapled shut and marked with a SMALL piece of YELLOW TAPE. All tape will be distributed with your supply boxes during Set Up!
New This Year: Departments are responsible for packing up ALL leftovers AND returning supplies to the Schroeder Building.
- Please put all unsold “hard-goods” in boxes (as long as you can close the box) for ease of transport for our Charity Partners. All unsold “soft-goods” go in large black plastic bags that must be tied shut.
- Goodwill is lending us 30 carts to help streamline cleanup and pickup. Our Rummage cleanup crew will deliver them to your department at 3 pm. Bulky items that don’t fit in a sealed box should be loaded directly into the carts.
- Put hangers in boxes. Wire hangers can be tossed along with all other trash. Leave boxes of plastic hangers in your room.
- Supply Boxes, Unused bags and Extra Supplies:
- If your Department is on the main floor of the Parish House, in the parking lot or in the Schroeder Building, please return your boxes, bags and extra supplies to the Supply Room in the Schroeder Building.
- If your Department is in the basement [and the French Room] of the Parish House, please return your boxes, bags and extra supplies to the Parish House kitchen in the basement.
- All Department that have locked doors and those in the basement of the Schroeder Building may leave their boxes, bags and extra supplies in their department.
If you finished packing up your supplies before the party starts, please check in with your neighbor Departments to see if they need help wrapping up clean up.
We are donating Department leftovers to the following Charity Partners:
- Chicago Furniture Bank: Pictures, Infant Equipment, Kitchen, China and Furniture
- Hines VA Hospital: Women’s Clothing
- ROAR (Rollover Animal Rescue): Shoes
- Goodwill: All Other Departments
ROAR and Hines VA Hospital will pick up leftovers directly after the Sale. Chicago Furniture Bank and Goodwill will pick leftovers up on Friday morning.
New This Year: Doors will open at 4:00 pm! Results will be announced as close to 4:30 as possible.
Reward yourself, and everyone working in your department, with snacks & beverages in The Great Hall (located in the lower floor of the parish house.) It’s fun to trade the day’s stories, complain about your aching feet to sympathetic ears and hear the first financial reports.
To help me better serve you and your Department, PLEASE make every effort to submit a report. Here are some suggestions of items to include in the report:
- Diagram of your space. Specify any change in the tables, racks, etc.
- Supplies needed, such as tagging guns, staplers, pins, etc.
- List of workers. Include phone numbers and addresses.
- Staffing needs. Include number of workers needed per shift.
- Price list.
- Suggestions and constructive comments.