Christ Church supports Family Promise Chicago North Shore, a nonprofit transitional shelter program whose mission is to return homeless or near-homeless families to permanent housing and financial stability.
Christ Church has become a Family
Promise Chicago North Shore partner!
Join us in fulfilling our promise to host up to 4 families.
Family Promise is a holistic approach to preventing homelessness.
Family Promise supports families with children who are currently homeless — or at-risk for becoming homeless — with a supportive pathway to self-sufficiency. They offer a comprehensive approach that provides these families:
- Day and nighttime transitional shelter
- 3 nutritious meals a day
- Transportation to job interviews, work and school
- Job search training and assistance
- Budgeting and financial literacy training
- Holistic access to counseling and social services
Questions? Email: Elizabeth Parkinson
The effectiveness of Family Promise makes it easy to believe in their mission.
Unlike a traditional shelter, Family Promise keeps families together. They offer an individualized approach to returning families to financial stability. By directing resources to only 3-4 families at a time, they greatly increase the chances for a long-term positive outcome. The overwhelming majority of Family Promise families never return to homelessness.
Family Promise enables us to put all of our resources to work in God’s name.
As a participating congregation, Christ Church hosts up to 4 families at a time, for a week, 2-3 times a year, in our welcoming facilities at Church on the Hill. Parishioners of all ages can actively participate in this ministry by volunteering to:
- Help with move-in setup and move-out cleanup
- Serve as evening dinner hosts for the families
- Serve as overnight hosts
- Provide hospitality and fellowship
- Provide evening activities after dinner
- Donate funds to cover expenses
- Pray for our volunteers and the families we serve – and for all homeless individuals in our community
We believe that one of our cornerstones at Christ Church is growing our own faith by serving others, as a community.
Supporting Family Promise is an invitation to strive for justice and dignity for all, proclaiming the Gospel by our words and actions. Coming together as a parish to offer a safe place to sleep, a healthy meal, fellowship and hospitality enables us to become the hands and feet of Christ in our world.